My new BeagleBone Black arrived today and the first problems I had when trying to install the drivers via USB onto Windows 8 was that the installer told me the following:
“The current language is not supported by the Device Driver Installation Wizard.
Contact the vendor that provided you this package”
My computer is set in English (United Kingdom) and it seems that the installer would only install in every language apart from English (United Kingdom)!
To resolve this problem you need to unarchive the BONE_D64.exe installer into a folder.
Now edit the dpinst.xml file to add
<!-- English (United Kingdom) -->
This should be added after the first </language> tag as shown below and then resave the file.
The installer should then install and detect the correct language for the installer.
On Windows 8 there was an issue with Driver Signing during the installation, this can be resolved by the following which I found on a google group by Piyush ay https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beagleboard/_y-fIgg-J7I and repeated below incase the google post vanishes:
- Press win+c on the keyboard to bring up the charms side bar (or move mouse to right top corner of the screen)
- Click the Settings button.
- Click the Change PC Settings at the bottom of the sidebar.
- On screen that shows up, select the General option from the sidebar then scroll down the page that appears.
- Click the Restart now button under the Advanced startup section.
- You will momentarily see the restarting screen, then it will switch to a blue screen titled "Choose an option"
- Click the Troubleshoot button.
- Click Advanced options.
- Click Startup Settings
- Click Restart
- You should then see a Startup Settings screen after your computer reboots.
- Press 7 or F7 on your keyboard to Disable driver signature enforcement
- Now Windows 8 will continue starting up.
- Log-in as normal, and then run dpinst.exe from the BONE_D64 folder
- Now you should see 4 warning dialogs about "unsigned driver installation", click OK for all of them.